Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Steakhouse

This steak place at Clarke Quay had popped up on my radar via a little booklet called 'Singapore Restaurant Guide 2011'. I had already visited several places recommended in this booklet, but not due to seeing them here. Rather, those visits were due to other reviews available over the numerous food websites we have on this tiny island. These visits will slowly be entered as backdated entries. But that's beside the point. The point is, there were hits and misses about the places in this booklet, so I was a little apprehensive about it.

Until my sister-in-law told me she tried this place and it was good. So after a hiatus from good steak places, Lynn and me decided to satisfy our steak craving there last week. Now I have to admit I'm a little of a navigation failure. So I had to rely on my smartphone to get around. So with only the address to The Steakhouse, I tried to get walking directions using the Singapore Maps app. And this was the hilarious result:


Of course I'm not so stupid to swim across the Singapore River. We walked around it. And missed the restaurant. So we ended up walking an entire round around the Clarke Quay restaurants, before finding it right where we walked pass.

The Steakhouse has a nice ambience. Brown tones, dim enough to be comfortable, yet enough light so I could see my food. We ordered The Steakhouse Salad, Wagyu ribeye steaks with creamed spinach and potato gratin for sides, and herbed butter for sauce. They don't serve regular water so we ordered a bottle of Fiji water to share.

The Steakhouse Salad

Wagyu ribeye steak

Side dishes

Herbed butter
The salad was heavenly. Warm chicken and beef on a bed of greens and hard-boiled egg, with a generous sprinkling of chopped bacon (not bacon bits). A very good start for two hungry ladies. When the steaks arrived, we were two very happy hungry ladies. The meat was tender, and very aromatic (well, I liked the aroma anyway. Maybe not the best way to describe steaks.) The marbling wasn't very even though, with majority of the fats clustered at one side. But the fats tasted so good we finished every last bit of it, even though it was getting 'gelat' towards to end. We learnt to be less greedy and order one steak to share the next time with other stuff to go along with it. The prettily flower-shaped herbed butter was good, very fragrant. But again, a tad too rich. It probably goes along better with other steaks, but I wouldn't recommend it with the wagyu. The potato gratin was yummy. The creamed spinach too, though a little reminiscent of our local curry vegetable (ala lontong style).

We were too full for dessert, and I needed to get somewhere anyway. This restaurant definitely made it into our "will be back" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment