Thursday, August 11, 2011

Boon Lay Raja

I've been to this restaurant countless times since I was a little girl. I believe many staying in the west of Singapore would have visited this almost iconic restaurant at some point or other. My grandpa liked the food here, and the owner is a family friend, so many birthdays, anniversaries, weddings etc had been held here. Because I've been here so many times, I didn't have to urge to snap photos on our latest visit.

It was another aunt's birthday and the menu included our family's standard lobster cold combination dish, shark's fin, roasted duck with fruits and steamed pomfret. The rest of the menu were left to the owner's creativity. There was the expected longevity buns, the not uncommon vegetables with a combination of mushrooms and surprisingly no carbo such as rice nor noodles. What was a novelty this time round was this:


Bamboo clam! The fried garlic and glass vermicelli topping was crunchy and fragrant, and completely complimented the chewy clam together with the sauce. I only had one, and then went off to the washroom, and returned to find none left. Boo hoo...

Boon Lay Raja, as always, served up a good mixture of old and new to us "super frequent" customers. I will always come back here again as and when the family say so. It's a great restaurant for fuss free, delicious Chinese food. Do be warned. It does have a tendency to OD the MSG quite a bit, so be prepared to drink lots of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment